Castlefield 1894 Viaduct
Bridgewater Canal, Castlefield Basin, Manchester, UK
era Victorian |
category Railway Viaduct |
This is the most recent of the four large railway viaducts dating from the mid to late 1800s that cross Castlefield's canal basin. It is the northernmost of the three viaducts that come together just west of Deansgate Station.
The high-level tubular steel viaduct is decorated with turrets. It was built for the Great Northern Railway Company and carried GNR trains to the company's Deansgate warehouse until 1963. Richard Johnson was a Chief Engineer of the GNR.
On the viaduct's south side is the 1877 brick and wrought iron Cornbrook Viaduct, which was refurbished in 1991 for use by Manchester's Metrolink trams. Cornbrook was chosen over the 1894 bridge as it was found to be in better condition.
PHEW records, ICE
"Refurbishment of Cornbrook Viaduct"
Metrolink, Topic Sheet No 6, September 1990