Warrington Transporter Bridge (Crosfield's Transporter Bridge)
River Mersey, Warrington, Cheshire, UK
William Henry Hunter
1914 - 1915
ICE reference number
photo Paul Dunkerley
One of only three remaining transporter bridges in Britain, the other two being at Middlesbrough and Newport. It was built for the transportation of chemicals and goods to and from Crosfield's works.
Warrington's transporter bridge is on private land. Joseph Crosfield built his chemical works here in 1814, his principal product being soap. The bridge carried raw materials and manufactured goods between different parts of the works, which are located on the banks of the Mersey, still tidal at Warrington. The river meanders as it passes to the south of the city and Crosfield’s works on the south bank are surrounded by the river on three sides.
There used to be a larger transporter bridge for public road traffic much further downriver at Runcorn (SD512835).
The bridge's towers on both banks are founded on mass concrete cellular caissons. Double steel cantilevers on each tower support a central 61m span of riveted mild steel plates and angle irons. The travelling car, or platform, was originally built for rail traffic of up to 18.25 tonnes, but it was modified in 1940 so that it could also take road traffic.
In 1950, the bridge’s load-carrying capacity was increased to 30.5 tonnes and the overall length of the structure was increased to 103.3m.
The bridge is 9.1m wide and provides 22.2m clearance at high water, though it has been out of service for several years.
Contractor: Sir William Arrol
"Transporter Bridges" by N.N. Forbes, The Light Railway Transporter League, 10