Old Main Goods Warehouse
Liverpool Rd Station, Liverpool Rd, Castlefield, Manchester
May - 15th September 1830
ICE reference number
photo Paul Dunkerley
This is the oldest surviving railway goods warehouse in the world, located at the eastern terminus of the world's first inter-city railway. Its designer is thought to be either Thomas Gouch or Thomas Haigh.
The ten-gabled warehouse is three storeys high: one at street level, one at rail level and one above. The structure is approx 350ft by 60ft in plan but built on a curve. It is constructed of brick with stone casings around the doorways. The floors, beams and columns are of wood, though there are cast iron columns on the lower floor. The cranes were worked by line shafting from a steam engine.
The building is similar in design to warehouses used on Britain's inland waterways except that is had 64 wagon turntables within the station area. It was built by David Bellhouse in remarkably quick time.
It is sited opposite to, and on the northern side of, the passenger station at Liverpool Road, forming the eastern terminus of the Liverpool & Manchester Railway, the world's first inter-city line, for which George Stephenson was the Chief Engineer.
Main contractor: David Bellhouse
"Liverpool Road Station, Manchester: An Historical and Architectural Survey"
by R.S. Fitzgerald
Manchester University Press, Manchester, 1980