Radcliffe-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire, UK
date 1848 - 1850
era Victorian |
category Railway Viaduct |
ICE reference number HEW 741
An interesting example of a cast iron bridge that has been converted to a reinforced concrete bridge with little effect on its general appearance. It carries the Grantham-Nottingham railway line across the River Trent.
This viaduct was the major engineering work of the Ambergate, Nottingham, Boston & Eastern Junction Railway. The Trent Navigation Company insisted on a clear span of at least 100ft and so a 110ft cast iron arch was constructed on the northwest side. Three brick arches with stone voussoirs and abutments completed the crossing.
The arch rise is 11ft 6in and the clearance above water level is 24ft.
The iron arch had six ribs, each 3ft deep and made in eight segments. The deck was timber and the spandrels and parapets were open work. Timber approach viaducts were built on each side but these have been replaced with an earth bank to the northwest and 28 brick arches to the south east.
The modifications already mentioned were made in 1981, when each iron rib of the arch was encased in a 28in wide concrete rib with solid spandrels. Since the outer iron ribs and original spandrels have been left alone, the bridge's appearance seems little changed.
The timber deck and iron bracing have all been replaced with concrete. Careful attention to the painting of the new work has greatly helped the success of the conversion visually.
Iron casting: Clayton & Shuttleworth
Photos taken in this area
Photos provided by Panoramio
the copyright of their owners