River Trent, west of Scunthorpe, North Lincolnshire, UK
ICE reference number
The King George V Bridge at Keadby is a steel rolling lift bridge that carries road and rail traffic across the River Trent. Its 163ft bascule, or lifting span, was one of the first of its type in Britain.
This bridge replaced the adjacent rail-only swing bridge of 1866 , both built by the Great Central Railway. It has three main spans and two approach spans. The total distance between abutments is 548ft.
The eastern main span is the one that lifts. It features a Scherzer bascule that rolls and rotates on its counterbalanced end at the same time. It was originally powered by batteries charged by petrol-driven generators, though later by mains electricity.
The bascule was fixed in position in 1960, when the bridge was widened and the headroom increased, so the bridge no long lifts.
Each span is composed of three lattice steel girders, the middle one of which runs between the road and the railway. The mains spans are 134ft, 140ft and the bascule one, which provides a clear waterway of 150ft. The approach span to the east is 70ft wide and the western one, onto which the bascule span rolls, is 40ft wide.
Contractor: Sir William Arrol & Co
Arrol Chief Engineer: Adam Hunter