Temple Meads (old) station
Temple Gate, Bristol, UK
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
ICE reference number
The original terminus of Brunel's Great Western Railway that begins at Paddington Station in London. The picture shows the train shed with its cantilevered timber roof.
The station complex consists of an engine shed behind the offices that face the street and a train shed beyond. Both are supported on brick arched vaults.
Cast iron columns support the drawing office that spans three of the five tracks in the engine shed. This is the place where most of the Great Western's schemes were designed.
The train shed is 220ft long. The centre span of its timber roof is 74ft. Cast iron columns along the platform support its cantilevered timber members, which meet at the centre ridge and are tied down to the outer walls of the building. Decorative brackets and ornamental timber pendants give the roof the appearance of hammerbeam construction.
The train shed was extended to almost twice its original length in the 1870s.
The terminus of the Bristol & Exeter railway was built adjacent to Temple Meads (old) station. In 1876 all the routes were linked and Temple Meads present station was used by all.
The old station served as car park for a number of years but the train shed has now been restored and houses a museum.