southeast of Cosgrove, Northamptonshire
ICE reference number
A cast-iron trough aqueduct that carries the Grand Junction Canal over the River Ouse. It replaced a masonry version designed by Jessop that collapsed in 1808.
Jessop was Chief Engineer of the Grand Junction Canal from 1793, but aqueducts were his bÍte noir: the original version at Cosgrove was the second of his designs to have failed. Jessop's pier bases can still be seen at the site, but where the older structure consisted of three arches, Bevan's trough is supported centrally by a single masonry pier with decorative stone coping.
The trough was cast at Ketley Ironworks. It is 15ft wide, 6ft 6in deep and 101ft long and made up of 18 sections. Each section comprises a base-plate with two side-plates bolted on at varying angles. The towpath on the east side of the trough is 35ft 6in above the river and is supported by struts inclined out from the base of the trough. Brickwork facing was added to the abutments in 1921.
Photos taken in this area
Photos provided by Panoramio
the copyright of their owners