Blackpool North Pier
1862 - 1863
Pier, seaside |
ICE reference number
photo Paul Dunkerley
Completed in 1863, North Pier is the earliest of Blackpool’s three piers. It was designed by the foremost Victorian pier designer, Eugenius Birch.
This was Birch's second pier and the first of his to be built by the contractor Richard Laidlaw & Son of Glasgow, with whom he was to work on a further four.
The 28 ft wide deck is supported on plate girders that span 60ft and rest on groups of cast iron columns on cast iron screw piles sunk into the seabed. This pier was only the second to have been founded on such piles. The deck is 1,070ft long.
A 47ft long steamer jetty was added 1867 and the end, or head, of the pier was enlarged to accommodate J.D. Harker's Indian Pavilion, a restaurant and shops in 1874.
Other alterations have been made since, including the addition of a theatre at the landward end in 1903 and the replacement of the pavilion after fires in 1921 and 1938. The pier has attractive kiosks and iron railings that incorporate seating. The jetty was wrecked twice in the 1990s.
Having overcome these setbacks, the pier was named The National Pier Society's 'Pier of the Year' in 2004.
Contractor: Richard Laidlaw & Son, Glasgow